What is leaky gut syndrome? Think of the lining of your digestive tract like a net with extremely small holes in it that allows specific substances to push through. Your gut lining works as a barrier keeping out bigger particles that can damage your system. What causes leaky gut?
- Poor Diet
- Chronic Stress
- Toxin overload
- Bacterial imbalance
- Bone broth: contains collagen and the amino acid protein and glycine can help heal damaged cell walls
- Raw Cultured Dairy: contains both probiotics and SCFA’s that help heal. Pasteurized kefir, yogurt, butter, and raw cheese are some of the best.
- Fermented Vegetables: contain organic acids that balance intestinal PH and probiotics. Sauerkraut, kimchi are excellent sources.
- Coconut Products: all coconut products are especially good for your gut. MCFA’s in coconut are easier to digest that other fats.
- Sprouted Seeds: chia seeds, flax seed and hemp seeds that have been sprouted are great sources of fiber that can help support the growth of beneficial bacteria. But if you have leaky gut, you may need to start out getting your fiber from steamed vegetables and fruit.